CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Total Pageviews


Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Mean Mama Monday

This was supposed to be posted yesterday, I am not just mean, I am also forgetful ;)

MEAN MAMA ON VIDEO GAMES
Riley will be the first to tell you I am "mean" when it comes to video games. "But Mommmmm so and so in my class plays Call Of Duty!!!!" Well that's nice....BUT the only one playing COD in this house is Daddy...after YOU are in bed ;) Do parents not notice the ratings on the game?? They are there for a reason! 7 yr olds (or even 8,9, 10 ,11, 12 yr olds in my opinion) do not need to play a game in which you blow someones head off...curse a few times and then head off to the next unsuspecting victim! I HATE when I hear "Ohhhh it's just a game". It seems odd to me that instead of being penalized for killing someone you get points. That's a great thing to teach our children.
Dr. Phil says "According the American Psychological Association, violent video games can increase children's aggression. Dr. Phil explains, "The number one negative effect is they tend to inappropriately resolve anxiety by externalizing it. So when kids have anxiety, which they do, instead of soothing themselves, calming themselves, talking about it, expressing it to someone, or even expressing it emotionally by crying, they tend to externalize it. They can attack something, they can kick a wall, they can be mean to a dog or a pet." Additionally, there's an increased frequency of violent responses from children who play these kinds of video games.
I TRULY believe that!! My boy doesn't need to see the domestic violence...the blood flying everywhere...body parts flying through the sky...etc nor does he need to hear the language in the "mature games".  He is 7...almost 8, we will OCCASIONALLY allow him to play a rated E for everyone 10+  game but that is as lenient as we get. Mean or what????

0 comments:

Post a Comment